Links to resources
- QuitDay.org, a page on smoking's effects in K-12 schools and how to keep kids away from tobacco
- American Lung Association
- Parentadvicenj.org is a ‘portal’ for parents and caregivers to access and share articles, news & videos regarding underage drinking prevention from around the web. Each link is checked out by Coalition staff at The Center in Newton to ensure you are receiving the best advice from the most trusted websites on the Internet.
- Partnership for Drug Free Kids
- Bereavement Resources
- Report CyberBullying
"Dot" on Sprout . This is TV show that addresses proper use of technology, encourages STEM and provides positive role models for younger children.
A web resource developed to provide information and support to people fighting substance abuse and addiction.
Pathways 2 Prosperity (P2), an innovative initiative of NORWESCAP in collaboration with United Way of Northern NJ, is a two generation approach to ending poverty. P2 through education, mentoring, networking and social media, creates sustainable change by developing the resources participants need to achieve self-reliance and resiliency. P2 meets weekly, year-round, and serves the entire family. The provision of dinner, transportation, stipends and educational children’s programs, including youth entrepreneurship, help to address barriers to participation. The meetings provide the opportunity to create peer support with fellow participants and network across economic lines with volunteers. Phase I begins with a career and life planning curriculum where participants, called Path leaders, evaluate how poverty impacts their life and the community, assess available resources and develop action plans to achieve prosperity. Phase II begins with Path Leaders being matched with mentors who assist them in putting their plan into action. Weekly meetings continue with comprehensive education focusing on the skills and tools needed to make their action plan a reality. Phase III begins as Path Leaders become mentors and committee members, supporting the sustained growth of P2.
Compadres, Pathways 2 Prosperity (P2) children’s program, builds the social emotional skills children need to succeed in home, school and community environments. Social Emotional Learning improves students’ readiness to learn, behavior, and academic performance. Compadres focuses on building life skills, career exploration and educational commitment. It cultivates the social and emotional growth of children through the implementation of evidence based curriculum, interactive reading, exploratory education, homework club, youth entrepreneurship and access to experiential community based activities such as an art club, Girl Scouts, talent show and reading buddies. STEM workshops are provided weekly to foster interest in living wage careers and cultivate academic engagement. Trained high school and college students serve as peer mentors modeling healthy behaviors, conflict resolution skills, decision making skills, substance use refusal skills and interest in academic pursuits.
- www.readaloud.org - National campaign to readaloud to children 15 minutes per day
- NASP adult response guidelines
- Tips for talking to children after traumatic events
- Traumatic grief educational materials for parents
- UMDNJ Traumatic Loss Coalitions for Youth
- Washington Post article on crisis response
- Bullying tips.pdf
- Drugs 4-20 alert.pdf
- Guide to Facebook security.pdf
- Talking to Children about School Safety.pdf
- The Role for Caring Adults after a School or Community Tragedy.pdf