Free Family Learning Academy at
Merriam Avenue School!
“Our school is a place where students, teachers, and parents work together as a community of learners, where each and every member is a valued contributor.”
That sentence, a part of Merriam’s Mission Statement, shares a value that is highlighted in the free Merriam Avenue School Family Learning Academy. Parent participation not only builds connections between the home and school, but also helps children have the best possible school experience. The goal of the Family Learning Academy is to bring teachers and parents/guardians together to share important conversation and provide instruction about the big ideas children are learning in school. Parents have the opportunity to learn, explore, discuss, and ask questions. Parents also make and take hands-on games and activities to continue their child’s learning at home.
When you come to the Family Learning Academy, you will:
- Learn ideas and strategies to build reading and writing skills
- Learn strategies to build your child’s self-esteem and self-confidence
- Discover ways to use your own personal device to enrich learning- that includes your cell phone, iPAD, laptop, or use one of Merriam’s Chrome Books- Chrome Books are the devices the kids use in school!
- Learn strategies to grow important ideas in preschoolers- the littlest of learners
- Explore what it is the kids are doing everyday in class! Learn how to do the “new math” so you can help your child with homework or just understand!
- For Spanish-speaking parents, Merriam Avenue School’s and Newton High School's Spanish teachers assist parents in understanding cross content-area subjects; parents can also learn how to speak English!
Merriam Avenue School’s Family Learning Academy meets once a month. The next meeting is March 28, 2018.
Classes are held at Merriam Avenue School.
Free Family Pizza on all Family Learning Academy Evening Sessions!
For more information, please call Linda Salerno, Family Learning Academy Program Director!
973-383-7202 extension 1296
We look forward to seeing you!